Sunday, January 13, 2013

Seed Starting Adventure Epic Fail!

 Well, my big time seed starting project 1.0 was a bust.  Boo!!  I checked on my seeds on day 2 after planting and I found MOLD in all my containers!  I think it was a combination of high heat, high humidity, and not enough air circulation.  I tossed all the contents of the containers into the compost pile where the mold will be taken care of as the compost does its thing.  I was going to toss the containers into the recycling bin, but hubby encouraged me to rescue them, clean them and reuse them.  I soaked them in some hot Clorox water, cleaned them out, and have started the great seed starting adventure 2.0.

 Seed Starting 2.0 is still using the roaster oven, but as you can see, I've elevated the lid and have a fan going for air circulation.  The air temp inside is about 72º.  I'm thinking of leaving the top off at night or raising the lid a bit more to give even more air circulation.  We'll see.  Tomorrow I'll mist the cups and see how things are going.

We also set up our other seed starting station.  This structure has lights and a heat source.  We still need to put the plastic covering on it to create a greenhouse effect.  We used this set up successfully 2 years ago.  (Last year, I didn't start any seeds indoors as hubby was still experiencing some heart complications during January.  Sometimes life gets in the way of our fun.)  We also need to get one more light fixture and some hardware to hang it with from Home Depot.  Not exactly sure how I'm going to see those containers at the very top, but I'll figure it out! 

No comments: