Sunday, April 12, 2009

Plant Identification, Part II

I started planting my little babies a couple of days ago. I decided to put the bulbine in the bed in the front yard out by the street. One of the little bulbine plants has a flower on it, so we'll soon be able to see what it looks like. It seems like I've planted TONS of stuff, but when I look at all the plants I've got left to plant, it doesn't look like I've made much of a dent!



My husband has a "thing" for aloe vera plants. He loves them; I kill them. I don't know what it is, but every single aloe vera plant I've had I've killed. As you can see by the picture above, he picked up an aloe vera for us. :) I think I'll put it in a pot and move it to the far recesses of the yard. Maybe it'll survive! We also have more tomatoes, too. Don't they look lovely? There's also another Cutleaf Rudbeckia in this bunch. It'll go in the backyard in our new bed. I'm really excited about that new bed!



This is a bigger pot of Mexican Mint Marigold. It will also go in the backyard flower bed. MMM is an herb, did you know that? It produces bright yellow flowers on moderate sized stems. I can't wait for this to start blooming.



Obedient Plant. I'm really torn on whether to plant these in the ground, or pot them up. They're supposedly invasive, but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing right now. Next year and future years, however, that could be a problem. This one will bloom with delicate little pink flowers.



Next up we have some purple oxalis (purple shamrocks) that bloom with light pink, almost whitish little flowers. I'm starting a little patch of them in the corner of one of my beds. I planted some last year from corms and thought I'd lost them all, but they've started showing up again just this week. I'm so happy! We also have some jalapeno pepper seedlings for the veggie garden, a blackfoot daisy (sweet!), and a John Fannick Phlox. John Fannick was a long-time nurseryman in San Antonio. I remember visiting his nursery often, especially to buy roses and trees. What a wonderful nostalgic plant to have in my garden. Lastly, I think that's a bat face cuphea seedling in the upper right hand corner.



Lots more babies in this group, too. There's some Red Texas Star Hibiscus seedlings in one of the egg cartons as well as some Blue Pea Vine seedlings in the other egg carton. Not sure what I'm going to do with that vine as my husband has always been very anti-vines in the garden. There's also some of the plants I took and some tomato seedlings and tomatillo seedlings (green tomatoes).



This lovely tangle of stuff is Turkey Tangle Frogfruit. Doesn't that just make you want this plant?!? It's a groundcover that tolerates our soil, temps, and weather. It also is a host food for some kind of butterfly larvae. It produces these cute little white flowers, too.



In this grouping, there's another purple oxalis, yellow yarrow, a cowpen daisy that I'm very excited about, 6 Brazos Penstemon plants that will go in the front flower bed among the columbines, 2 small Mexican Mint Marigolds that I've planted in the driveway flower bed, and a sad looking poppy that probably won't make it. That's okay, though, because I also got some seeds for this particular poppy. I'm addicted to poppies now!




In the final group of plants, we have an Oriental poppy that's bloomed. Normally they turn their flower heads up to the sun, but this guy was a bit pouty, so he kept his head down. LOL There's a little baby red shrimp plant, a lavender obedient plant, an edible kale plant that my DH is super excited about, some garlic chives, and an Indigo Spires salvia that will go in the backyard flower bed.

In addition to all of this, I got some Golden Carpet sedum cuttings. They were in paper towels in a Wal-Mart bag, so I couldn't get a good picture of them. I planted them yesterday evening and here they are in their repurposed planter.



I'll be back with the progress of the veggie beds and more pics of the stuff I've planted next time.

No comments: